The IX International Forum

Arctic: today and the future

December 10-12, 2020, St.Petersburg

HISTORY: 2019 - IX INTERNATIONAL FORUM «ARCTIC: THE PRESENT AND THE FUTURE»

Hazardous radiation sources in the Russian Arctic will be disposed within 8 years

04.08.2020

Hazardous radiation sources in the Russian Arctic will be disposed within 8 years

State Atomic Energy Corporation Rosatom is going to dispose the most dangerous radioactive objects, sunken in the Arctic seas, within 8 years. This was reported by TASS on August 3.

There are 18 thousand flooded radioactive objects in the Russian Arctic, but almost 95% of them are safe due to siltation. The remaining 5%, which is compiled by about 1 thousand objects, show high levels of gamma radiation.

At the same time, only six objects create 90% of the radiation background. These are reactors with spent nuclear fuel from K-11, K-19 and K-140 submarines, K-27 and K-159 nuclear submarines, as well as spent fuel from the reactor of the Lenin icebreaker.

“Even the extremely low probability of radioactive leakage from these wrecks is an unacceptable risk for the Arctic ecosystems”, said the representative of Rosatom.

All the sunken vessels will be lifted from the bottom, transported to the disposal site and prepared for long-term storage. These works will last at least eight years. The specialists will also continue monitoring of the ships, declared as safe ones and therefore left on the bottom. 


Back to the list