Plastic pollution reached the Arctic
Plastic pollution of the Arctic territories was recorded by the employees of the Canadian Environmental Protection Service. The experts declared that they took eggs of one of the birds to research and found phthalates in them. It was reported by The Guardian.
These substances are used to make plastic products more flexible, but they are extremely dangerous and they are prohibited to use in products for children. They destroy the hormonal system and encourage congenital abnormalities, infertility and problems with metabolism. Nevertheless, they were found inside the eggs of birds, which, perhaps, swallowed pieces of plastic with food and digested foreign bodies. Phthalates initially were in the birds’ blood and then moved to the eggs.
Recently, plastic pollution didn’t reach such remote areas, but now the nature is not absolute pure, even in the Arctic. The experts suppose that almost 90% of denizens of the northern areas absorbed plastic in a varying degree.